Monday, February 2, 2009

A moral dilemma

I remember how I felt when I was sat on that mini step stool/ladder thingy. The tears flowed freely down my cheeks and I became the definition of ashamed. Of course, I was only 15, and as it should be, 15 year olds make mistakes. I shoplifted almost religiously, and I finally had gotten caught. I learned my lesson and shoplifting and stealing is now my pet peeve.

So I hated to be the rat today, but its not my apart of my job description to watch others have there things stolen, and its definitely not my job to lie to cover up for them. So, after very careful debate, I made my decision and acted upon it.

In the end, I am glad I did it. He had no business stealing a $400 pair of sunglasses, and as it is, I already have been concerned with him stealing money from my books at the tables. I have a serious hunch that cash goes missing when he is around. His little episode today backed up my intuition.

I am not going to spend my shift running from table to table, working hard, and just let my money slip away a few dollars at a time, or let the other girls money disappear with them oblivious to the possibility.

After I made the decision to come forth with the truth, I found out I was not the only one to do it. Another girl did the same and it made me feel better knowing we were on the same page.

I just hope he learns his lesson the way I did. And he is still pretty young, so there is hope for him.

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you Sierra! You did the right thing.
    Love you
    Gma

    ReplyDelete