Monday, December 22, 2008

Supersize it.

Okay. So here is a somewhat random post.

On several occasions this weekend, I encountered conversational topics regarding obesity, overeating, and healthy v. unhealthy food. One conversation was a somewhat humorous story that actually had a really good ending. Despite the positive ending to the story, I had a difficult time laughing along the way. Why would I have a hard time laughing at a story about an obese person?

Believe it or not, obesity tends to run in family. And yes, it is a disease. It is a disgusting mind game. It is something I can completely relate to, because even at only 21 years of age, food has filled my head to an extent that can't possibly be healthy. But look at my genetics, and you can understand the constant source of my worry. I have never been a skinny person, and don't consider myself to be small. I am "pleasantly plump". And I am okay with that, really. But what about in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? I need to be aware of these things now, so I don't have to fight them in the future.

The difference between myself and some of my family is that I have been raised with a good amount of education on what a healthy diet consists of. I live in a part of the U.S. that in my opinion, provides a lot of access to healthy, fresh foods. It is my hope that I can look at the mistakes of my family and learn from them, apply the educational value of those mistakes to my life, and someday raise my own children to eat the right foods.

Here is my biggest dilemma and cause of frustration:

Most students gain 10-15 lbs during college. This is partially a result of exercise. But it is also because of the college students' diet. Lets face it, most college students are broke. I have been lucky enough to have well paying jobs the last 2 years. Buying whatever food I want has not been on issue or even a question. If I wanted healthy food, I bought it. Unfortunately, in the face of a failing economy, my waitress job is paying 1/3 of what it used pay. My tips are just enough to pay my rent, utilities and gas. As each month goes by, I am forced to grocery shop more and more by what is cheapest. When I start nursing school in January, I have no idea how I will be able to by healthy food.

So here I am, a typical college student. Obesity is a huge problem in the U.S., and yet the cost of healthy food is obscene. I am constantly being directed to eat the right foods, but how can I do it when I can't afford it? Am I supposed to give up my good and healthy eating habits so that I can afford to make my rent every month? How is this fair? Am I really supposed to start trading in my fresh Kula greens in for a 50 cent package of Ramen? And its an accepted way of life for the college student!!!! People tell me that its what I am supposed to do! Live off of Top Ramen Noodles! And Macaroni and Cheese! And its okay!

Why is it, that in this country, it is so difficult to eat the right foods? Didn't obesity take over alcohol as a leading cause of liver disease? What about diabetes? High blood pressure? Heart disease? Cancers?

This is really scary to me. Americans put really nasty, unhealthy food in their mouths without even thinking twice about it. Most Americans probably don't even realize the food they are eating will slowly kill them.

And why is it so difficult to change this????? Why does healthy food have to be so expensive?

The best thing I can do for myself at this point is eat in moderation and keep trying to get in decent exercise. But Im telling you, based on my genetics, I need both a good diet and exercise. I really can't have one without the other, or I won't stand a chance.

Kind of a frustrating topic for me.

1 comment:

  1. It is frustating, I work at it all the time trying to eat healthy foods. You are right it cost to eat fresh foods.
    But I love you and sorry I gave you such genes.
    You are a great young lady. We disn't get to your dads as there was too much snow and all the train and buses were cancelled. We got as far as woodburn and stayed the night then came homw. It took us 1 hr to go 17 miles back to Salem. Allen stayed at Eddies then today he went up north, He should be OK this time as he is traveling between storms.
    Just keep him in prayer.
    od Bless
    Gma

    ReplyDelete