Friday, April 24, 2009

The Paradoxical Commandments

Today was my last day of clinical until the last week of May and it went amazingly well for me. I learned more, did more, and felt confident in what I have studied and practiced. Injections were a piece of cake, IV and O2 monitoring was natural. I discontinued an IV, and helped with wound care. My patient learned a lot about his diagnoses (Stroke, Diabetes Mellitus) while in my care. My patient and the family thanked me immensely for my efforts and advocacy for them while in the hospital. If felt really great to make a difference in their lives. 

It was also my teachers last semester as an acute care instructor, and next semester she will become Nursing Program Coordinator. I feel really honored to have learned from her, and appreciate the time she spent with our group. She left us each with this quote:


by Dr. Kent M. Keith, based on Mother Teresa: Missionary of Charity



People are illogical, unreasonable, and self centered. 
Love them anyway. 
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. 
Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. 
Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankeness make you vulnerable. 
Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest people with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest people with the smallest ideas.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs and follow top dogs. 
Fight for the underdogs anyway.
What you spend years bulding may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you help them.
Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the butt. 
Give the world the best you have anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you are growing up. You are quite a Lady!!
    God Bless you
    GMa

    ReplyDelete