Friday, April 10, 2009

Jewish Holiday

First off, I bought a camera!!!!!
Just a cheaper point and shoot digital camera, but YAY I can take pictures again!

School has been completely insane. Last time I posted a blog about school, I was just finishing my Pediatrics Clinical Unit. After that, I spent 2 weeks up at Kula Hospital doing longterm care.

Honestly, I don't see longterm care being the field I plan to work in, but I have to say it was incredibly rewarding and a great experience. I ended up with some fantastic opportunities with my patients. On my last day, I realized that my patient was ready to pass away, and that was challenging for me. I really wanted to make her as comfortable as possible, and I gave her some care that may have very well been the last for her.

Next I began my first clinical hours at Maui Memorial Hospital doing acute care on a medsurge floor. Such a different experience! Everything is so fast paced and hectic in comparison to long term care. There is so much to be done, and the time flies by. What really amazes me is how much I have learned just through this experience. Finally, everything I have studied in lecture the last few years is making sense. I am really beginning to grasp how body systems all work together, and I am amazed at all of it. I have 2 more weeks of acute care left now, and then my clinical semester is over! Just lecture and tests. Only 5 more weeks left! Then I get 10 days off!

I also left Hot Sails, at least for the time being. Just too busy for 2 jobs! Working at the restaurant seems to be enough for now. My car, still running great. Rocko, still happy to chase bugs all day while I'm at school.

Okay, so... the good part of this post.

Did I mention that I um, have a boyfriend now? Yes, its true. Despite the internal fighting I have done with myself, it has happened. And I am pretty happy about it. So while he is currently back visiting his homeland of Israel, I have been here. A couple nights ago was the big Jewish holiday, Passover. With all my Israeli friends I have now, I was invited to celebrate with them. Wow. What an experience!!! I realized I mostly know the story of Passover already... the jewish slaves of the Egyptians and Pharaoh, Moses coming to rescue the slaves. The walking in the desert, the locusts... etc etc. Wow cool! Marci sat next to me and translated all the hebrew. With at least 40 people at the dinner, I don't think I was the only one who didn't understand the Hebrew. The excitement I felt throughout the crowd was contagious, everyone was laughing and singing and some were dancing. The food was amazing (I am finding that all these Israelis know how to cook!!!).

I looked around at one point and really appreciated the tight family-like group they have made here. And I realized how many of them I have began to really care about, and how much I love some of the friends I have made within their group.

Here are a few pictures!




Some of the people

Juliana is Brazilian, and her husband Eyal is from Israel. 

Pre-dinner, tables set up. 

MMMMMmmmm =)

Omri, Lee, and myself. 


Yoav playing guitar, Arnon playing keyboard, and Tidhar drums and vocals. 


Me and Omri


After dinner lots of singing and celebrating. 


1 comment:

  1. Sierra Don't you know Aunt Peggie is jewish and she & uncle Russell sell jewish wares?
    They pratice the Christian Jewish faith.
    If you want to know more just talk to Aunt Peggie. I am glad you are doing so good!! yaaaa!
    Love you
    Gma

    ReplyDelete