Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Every day is better than the last"

In an attempt to keep my ever-growing group of friends and family up to date on my life, I have decided to start a blog. Who knows if I can keep it updated and chances are, it won't really even be worth reading. But, if you never try you'll never know, right? So here goes.

One of the most important things in my life right now is that "every day is better than the last". My bestest friend out here (Laura!!) and I came to this conclusion a couple of days ago. Everyday we find new and ridiculous reasons to laugh harder, smile more, and wake up earlier the next day. Are we on some kind of lucky streak? Could it possibly be good Karma? Or maybe we are just idiots...could be a combination of it all. Either way, we can't get enough of this island.

Here are a couple of my recent accomplishments/moments of satisfaction/reasons to be happy to be alive:

First off, I got accepted into Nursing School. Yay! After months of anxiety, stress, and working an extra job (Nurse Assistant), I finally got my letter. I start the program in January. My grades were excellent (4.0 last semester) and I scored in the 92nd percentile in U.S. on entrance exams (woohoo!) but even then I had a few setback making me think I wouldn't get accepted. Well, I got in. In 2 years I will be an R.N. Which really means work hard a few days a week, and play harder on my days off! Take more vacations! Travel! This also means I have an excuse to hang out on the rock here for another 2 years which means....more windsurfing!

Another recent accomplishment was just a couple of days ago. I did my first run at Hookipa!!(Finally!) I really had planned on this happening months ago...but...life kept me busy this last summer and windsurfing was put on the back burner. Not to mention the wind was a huge disappointment during summer.

Well, I finally did it. The waves were umm..well about as flat as it gets at Hookipa. Anklebiters really. But perfectly challenging for me. I got "washed", swam my gear, went out over waves and tried to ride some back in.

My only setback was swiping my foot across a sea urchine on my entrance. Ouch!! Spines stuck in my foot and all, I wasn't about to head back in and I sailed anyways. I guess it wasn't such a big deal to sail Hookipa on a day like this, but I still love how much it reminds me that I am improving. My next big step will be when I sail out at Hookipa when there really are waves. That will be a good day :-)

Here is my foot, not so bad after picking out the spines!




And here is me with my super wonderful coach of the day and friend, Juan.


Today was another sweet day for me. After school and work, I could hardly keep my eyes open and all could think about was getting into some nice cold salty ocean water, or taking a nap in my bed. Luckily the ocean won me. Down to the closest beach I went, to trusty Kanaha. Kanaha is like a big brother to me. Faithful, reliable and safe but every now and then picks on me and pushes me to a new limit. My first ocean swim of my life was just 2 years ago at Kanaha, and everything I know about the ocean, Kanaha has taught me.

With expectations of no wind, I planned to stand-up paddle. Some new windsurfing friends of mine called me up and invited to to go. Heck yes! Well, the wind came up and I rigged my favorite sail, my 4.8 DD. This was the first time I have ever sailed on a standup/longboard! Whoa...who knew I could make all my tacks and jibes?!?! Haha...too bad I can't get that on my shortboard. I sailed out today and quickly gained confidence.

.....Good sized swell at uppers: Aim between weird wave and uppers..yep...theres my spot...wait...waves breaking...okay..mmhmm...its flat...GO!!..... sweeet made it out past the break safely. Turn around... ooh...here's a swell....going faster...and faster... pump my sail...WEEE!!!......

Caught my first couple of waves on a longboard/sail! :-) Mind you, they were on the edge of the break...not the big dogs that everyone else was on. But pretty good size! Especially for ME! And to be on a gigantic board!

I also had the perfect view of all the other sailors at uppers. I can't wait until its me ripping across those beautiful waves :-) Someday....

A little blood is a good thing, right? Somehow it makes me feel tougher!


Here is Laura, my friend, roommate and beach buddy.



Another amazing sunset on my drive home today. Another reason to be thankful I reside on the rock.


Ok we'll see if I make it to post 2!

5 comments:

  1. yay! are you kidding me! I'm so very happy for you and insanely jealous. you better be keeping up this blog or how else am I going to get through my winter. Can't wait to see you all again. You are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going girl!
    Please be careful.
    Love you
    Grandma H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog & nice injuries... Your profile picture is great too... I bet someone really awesome took that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel: Hurry up and come back out here!!! Maui misses you almost as much as I do.

    Grandma: Yay! You found my blog! And yes of course I am careful :-)

    Aaron: You stole a picture of me at the beach, and I stole it back to use it on my profile. And as I recall the person that took it was pretty awesome, even if he likes SF more than Maui.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuppp I found it and now I am waiting for more!!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete