Monday, November 17, 2008

.......

I can't think of a title for this blog, as there are too many things running through my head. I feel like I am riding a bike straight downhill. Not as in, my life is going downhill, but rather the feeling you get. Free falling. Flying. My eyes are watering and I can't see where I am going, but it feels so good. My hair is whipped back like a dogs ears in the window of a car. No need to peddle, its just an effortless and mindless free fall. All I can hear is the clicking of the wheels of my bike that spin so fast. All that matters is the wind rushing past my ears...and maybe that I should stop smiling so much because at this rate I could end up with a lot of bugs in my teeth. But I am moving so fast I don't eat breakfast, so maybe a little protein won't hurt.

Everyone is high on stoke of winter swells, glassy conditions and some windy days. I'm stoked because everyone else is stoked. This winter is different...I have a new appreciation for waves that I didn't have last winter. I haven't been in the water as much as everyone else, but I have been in enough to boost my heart to carry through the necessary tasks in life...school and work.

Friday night was pretty awesome. A spontaneous trip to the Haleakala Crater was planned. The last week didn't give me much sleep, so I tried not to look at my watch too much. I was exhausted to say the very least, but so excited to do something new on Maui!

We hiked down 4 miles in the moonlight with a couple coffee breaks. After pitching tents and snacking we crawled into sleeping bags....around 3am maybe? The cold air on the volcano only reminded me of one thing...TAHOE!

I kept thinking I could close my eyes and open them to find myself at Alpine Meadows or Homewood with my best friends, surrounded by crystal white snow. Nope..no snow on Haleakala. My amazing and crazy girls were not there to experience this adventure with me, and it pulls a little on my heart. (Fingers still crossed for winter break though..just in case!)

The morning brought an adventure through the lava tube. Pitch black and sometimes a little tight on space, I loved it. The darkness there felt so true to me, not a speck of light when we clicked off the flashlights.

The hike up was...well....a hike uphill.... The best part was stopping to catch my breath. Haha nooo not JUST to catch my breath, but to look around and check out the view. Steep cliffs going down to the base of the crater, and beatiful pieces of fog stringing themselves up the sides, always moving and changes and reshaping. The sun was warm and comforting, but the cold stringy clouds invigorated and refreshed me.

Reaching the top was as good as I thought it would be, but looking back, I realize the journey itself was much better than being up top. I like the thoughts that went through my mind as we did it, and I like the people I was with.

Now its back to "reality", with work to be done, 2 exams to study for, and.... more time on the water I hope. My reality isn't so bad :-)

Sorry guys...I forgot my batteries for my camera so I didn't get to take pictures :-(
But I stole a few from Amir...

Here is a little piece of the hike up the mountain, doesn't look so bad.


A little bit of the view...you can see the grassy base we went down to.



And here we are at the base, headed up!


Nitsan and I. Please note the mountain in the far back is what I hiked up :-)



Me and the little Brazillian beauty, Danielle.



Matan, Danielle and Amir going into the Lava Tube.



She is adorable... I think I am gonna miss her. (She is on her way to Brazil right now)


Nitsan and Matan at the entrance of the Lava tube.


Sorry..I thought I had this rotated and I am too lazy to figure it out right now. But you can still see... bread..cream cheese....yummy Israeli coffee...tomatoes and cucumbers...sardines....
Wait! Sardines? Umm I didn't eat the sardines.


Relaxing after breakfast.



Danielle, Amir and I.




At the picnic table...breakfast I guess?



I guess I did something I have never done and really loved it. I definitely want to do it again, but next time on a horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a sweet monday everyone.
I love you.

4 comments:

  1. "Reaching the top was as good as I thought it would be, but looking back, I realize the journey itself was much better than being up top." I love it, could it be said any more beautifully?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Rachel... I didn't realize I even said it..doesn't sound so bad now that you point it out. So true though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! I look forward to your blogs every day. I would love to do those things again but thru you I can have the adventure too. For me I just need to be younger but, I would not trade what I have done in my life. Just look what I have.( you)
    Love you bunches
    GMa H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sierra! You are a truly gifted writer! You have successfully translated the experience of your incredible trip to those of us who can only read about it. As always, you make my heart sing!!
    I love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete