Sunday, November 9, 2008

Another few days on the rock

This post is going to begin with some incredible sunset pictures. (yes, I know I am obsessed but this one was amaaaazing!) I didn't touch the photos at all, just uploaded them straight from the camera. It was an icky, cloudy, cold, windless day. After a painful evening of work, I went to watch Laura surf...when suddenly.......



The skies turned to the most brilliant colors...



It looks more like lava to me..



The West Maui Mountain sunsets sure don't disappoint!



One of my favorite reasons for living in Haiku.



The last few weeks I have somehow found myself eating the most delicious food. A few times a week I am over at a different friends house for an amazing feast! In fact, almost every Sunday we have been going to Ala/Laura Ks/The Frenchies amazing Kuau house. We all pitch in and buy some food from Mana Foods, cook together and chill out on the porch. Its so nice to cook with other people. I really hate cooking alone at home which is why I just finished off a round of leftovers.



I have been working hard lately! This morning was busy at the restaurant, which should be great, but people just haven't been tipping well lately.Everyone must be feeling the empty pockets that I am beginning to feel. Despite my low funds, I have been considering going home for the holidays anyways. No doubt it will be expensive, but it will be worth it. I want to see the siblings so much! And Mom and Dad! And all my friends! I looked up plane ticket prices (they went down again!) and am thinking about how cool it would be to fly to Washington, then to California and after new years come back to Maui. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and you should cross yours for me too!



Here is small fry (rocko) at the Hot Sails/Kanaha Kai shop.



I am hard at work, and Rocko is hardly working.
Oh wait..what am I thinking?! Rocko Chops is turning into the offical door mat for the place. Does that count as work? He thinks so.



As many of you know, Maui has had some amazing water conditions lately. There were a few days that I was up at 6am to go surfing, at work or school by 9am, and then windsurfing afterwards. Its been sooo nice!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing better than getting in the water first thing!

Unfortunately the showers at the beaches have been shut off. Thursday I was running late for class and the showers weren't working. After the Hookipa shorebreak devoured me and my longboard for breakfast, I was covered in a thick layer of sand. I rinsed as best as I could with a waterbottle and sped to school. To class I arrived with wet hair, boardshorts and covered in sand. Everytime I moved sand would drop to the ground. My classmates and teacher don't seem to mind and get a good laugh from me. Going to school on Maui is so strange.

I had a particularly awesome session at Sprecks a few days ago. The wind was blowing a perfect (sometimes overpowered) 4.3 for me. Frenchy and I hit the water with huge grins and high expectations. We were not let down! The waves were perfect for me - - about shoulder high, some bigger and some smaller. It was breaking really nicely... almost peeley. I started out on the edge of the break, just trying to catch the smallest ends. As my confidence increased I worked my way inward and really tried to get some turns in on them. Sooooo fun! I still have a phobia of having to look through the sail to see down the line, but am getting more used to it.

My new board, I love, but am definitely noticing some things about it:

1. It doesn't plane to quick, and even seems a bit slow. I guess that should be expected though, a twin fin wave board.

2. Jibing is pretty much...well...impossible for me. The thing is soo super sensitive! I really am concentrating on keeping my feet steady and weight on the inside rail and it seems to help. I am getting a little bit closer though!

3. Who needs jibing when there are all these waves and bumps and chop to play in?!?! I have plenty of time to jibe next summer when its flat flat flat.

4. My board is really really fun to jump with. Super light and controllable, easy to point downwind on landing.

4. I don't care what you say about the colors/graphics on my board, I think its beautiful.


5. My board needs a name. I will come up with a good one soon.



I love Maui, but I love you more. I can't wait until I get to see each and every one of you, whether it be tomorrow, next week, this Christmas, or next summer.

1 comment: